Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Those Old Rotary Phones

Remember those old rotary dial phones? We had the pleasure of renting two of them years ago in Edgerton. When the NEW push-button type came out, we replaced them, never thinking about the fact that we were renting those rotary phones. Garage sales came and went and I never was able to sell those phones. Nobody wanted them! Years later, and I mean YEARS, Lyle asked me about an expense listed on our phone bill. It was for around $4.00 each month. Neither of us knew so I called the phone company. The conversation went something like this:
Me: What does the line blah blah blah mean?
She: That is for the two rotary phones you are renting.
Me: WHAT? I am renting those? You are kidding!! Nobody uses those anymore! Why didn't someone contact me about it?
She: (Thinking: Why would we do that? It's money for us!) Says: It is not a policy.
Me: I have tried to sell them on garage sales but no one wants them. I don't even know if I have them anymore!
She: You can purchase them for $16 each.
Me: WWWWHHHAT? After all the rent I have paid. (By this time I am calculating into hundreds of dollars, maybe even a thousand! Seriously!)
She: If you find them, you can return them to DeBoer Cheverolet. (For those of you outside of Edgerton, you will not understand this but we could pay our bill there etc. Never know--your husband could go in to pay the phone bill and walk out with a car!)
Me: Sigh! (and hang up, very frustrated!)
You better believe I drove my chevy home and looked for the phones. Fortunately, those were in my save everything daze so I still had them in the storage room! I marched them straight over to DeBoer Chevrolet and started saving $4 a month!
Moral of Story: Check your bills and call if you have any doubts or you may end up with a couple of sheep to decorate your yard or home.

No comments:

Post a Comment