Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thrifting with my Friend

Thrifting with my Friend

“I'm gonna pop some tags! Got $6 in my pocket!” Diana and I headed out to Haines City which has two great thrift stores, both for great causes. I found some good finds there—$1 for a yellow hat, in case I start the first Yellow Hat Society, $1.50 for old jewelry, three books for a dollar, a $2 robe which I just laundered, misc. junk for $1.50. (That's another way of saying I can't remember.) Add that up, folks, and I just spent all my cash! Good thing I passed up the $1NOEL macrame banner as a great gag gift. I decided it would cost too much to mail it. I forgot to replenish my stash after the 39 Mile Yard Sale. Fortunately, Diana always has cash!
On to our next stop. There I found old earrings for 50 cents, a $14.99 book for $1, and a great book identifying all the Florida plants for a mere 25 cents. I needed to borrow from Diana so I thought it would be easier to just borrow a ten dollar bill so we could remember what I owed her and in case I found more since we planned to hit at least 5 more stores. The amount may seem irrelevant, but stay with me, folks.
We drove to Lake Alfred where there are some fun shops but no thrift stores open on Tuesdays. There is a restaurant we like with tables outside under a giant tree. It is important to keep up your strength when thrifting! Our lunch was delicious and delightful as well! And I could use my credit card!
Behind the restaurant there is a plant shop that we enjoy. I got an air plant-just a tiny little thing that weighs next to nothing. Diana bought 3 plants, one which was huge! I need to mention that these plants were all outdoors. I drove the car around and we loaded the humongous plant into the trunk. By this time we made a decision to go home and do the Winter Haven shops another time.
When we got to Diana's house, we opened the trunk, took out the plant and out jumped a small toad! Of course, we jumped back. Then I spotted another small toad still in the trunk! Now you know as well as I do how they got in the trunk! That little toad jumped to the back of the my trunk and disappeared! When I got home, I changed clothes, got a container for capturing, and climbed in the trunk. I saw zilch! I decided to wait for Lyle.
Now, the importance about that $10 loan. I still had $8 and found enough change to pay Diana back, put it in an envelope, and give it to Leo when he dropped off Lyle. I reached in the drawer, pulled out an envelope, happened to look inside it and there is a dehydrated toad in it. I'm not making this up, folks! It is my “toad you so”day! There is no way he could have gotten in the drawer, much less into an envelope so I assuming I found him once and decided he needed to be kept. I did that once with a gecko, but that is another story.
After it cooled off some, we got out the vacuum and I climbed in the trunk again. Once more, zilch. Lyle suggested he put the seats down and see if we could find him. Oh yeah, for sure, he is visible and jumped out into the garage—Where he may still be hiding! Perhaps even dehydrating!



No comments:

Post a Comment